3 October 2015

98 - Stammheim [Auchy], 20 October 1915 (Letter from friend Musketier Otto Mertens)




Stammheim, 20/10.15

Dear family Limbach,

I heard from Vizefeldwebel Scheffel that you had written to him about the photographic device. I have withheld it, and will send it to you as soon as I have taken photographs of the graves of my friend Fritz and Heinz Mais, as I think you as well as family Mais would like a photograph of the restingplaces of both dear boys.
I have lost a lot in Fritz. You cannot begin to imagine how much we were on the same wave-length.
I am on a good footing with the other comrades, but no-one can replace Fritz.
Fritz was very much loved by everyone, no-one excluded, which is something not all can say of themselves.  
Actually he was too good for the field, always complaisant towards the comrades, and I often was furious with him when he let himself be duped by someone again.
But that has always been the case: the best get killed, and the thugs come through it unharmed.
Please receive warm greetings from your’s faithfully,

Otto Mertens 


the original letter:



 

No comments:

Post a Comment