2 October 2015

97 - France, 19 October 1915 (Letter from Offz.Stellvertreter W. Scheffel)





France, 19.10.15
Dear Mrs Limbach,
Dear family!

For your kindness in sending me an exceptional parcel, which gave me great joy, I thank you very much. I will do everything in my power to make sure Fritz’s grave is well tended. And Iwill always answer your question and fulfil your wishes. As per your request I have conveyed your greetings to the comrades.
I hope, dear family Limbach, that over time you can get over your terrible loss of your so beloved son and our unforgettable comrade Fritz, and console yourself, like so many mothers, in the knowledge that there you will see eachother again before our Heavenly Father.
The situation here, on the Western front, as you will have already read about, is still critical. The crucial moment of our great struggle seems to be getting nearer day by day, here and in the Balkans.
“Hail victory, God with us!”

With my dearest wishes for your future wellbeing, and with my greatest thanks, I am
With the warmest greetings to you, as well as your dear family, also special greetings to your dear husband.

Your’s faithfully
Walter Scheffel


The original letter: 

No comments:

Post a Comment